Non-Immigrant Visas

E2 Treaty Investor

Individuals who wish to invest in the United States may be able to obtain an E-2 Treaty Investor Visa. The applicant must be a national of a country with which the United States maintains a treaty of commerce.

The purpose of the individual's entry must be to carry out substantial trade, including trade in services or technology, principally between the United States and the treaty country; or, to develop and direct the operations of an enterprise in which the individual has invested; or is in the process of investing a substantial amount of capital.

Eligibility Requirements: The applicant is required to come to the United States to develop and manage the operations of an enterprise in which the applicant has invested or is actively in the process of investing a substantial amount of capital.

In addition to the investment in a business enterprise, the investor must be coming to the United States to develop and direct the operations of the enterprise in which he or she has made the investment. The applicant must have more than fifty (50%) percent ownership of the investment, unless the applicant is coming as an employee of the enterprise.

F1 Student

The United States welcomes foreign students to American language schools, high schools, universities and other institutions of higher education. Students on F-1 visas may accept employment in the U.S. as a part of their practical training by obtaining an Employment Authorization Document.

Eligibility Requirements: An applicant for a student visa must come to the United States to pursue an academic program in an institution recognized by the United States government.

The alien must have a valid educational purpose for coming to the United States. The student can stay in the United States for as long as he/she is enrolled in school.

H1B Specialty Occupation Worker

The H-1B visa allows foreign nationals to work in the United States in specialty occupations. Specialty occupations are essentially professional positions. The H-1B visa category has the following key requirements:

  • Applicant must have theoretical and practical application of a highly specialized body of knowledge
  • Applicant must have a minimum of a Bachelor's degree or its equivalent
  • U-M must file the H-1B petition; prospective employees cannot obtain H-1B visas on their own

J-1 Trainee/Physician Waivers

The United States government issues J-1 visas to individuals who take part in a wide range of exchange visitor programs sponsored by schools, businesses, and a variety of organizations and institutions. These programs are envisioned for business and industrial trainees, scholars, students, international visitors, teachers, research assistants and those on cultural missions.

In addition, there are several exchange visitor programs for young people, including summer employment programs, internship programs for university students, and au-pair programs.

Eligibility Requirements: You meet the criteria for a J-1 exchange visitor visa if you are coming to the United States as a student, scholar, trainee, teacher, professor, research assistant, medical graduate or international visitor who is participating in a program of studies, training research or cultural enrichment specifically designed for such individuals by the United States Department of State, through its Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs.

L-1 Intracompany Transferee

Individuals who are employed outside the United States as executives, managers or in a position which requires specialized knowledge may qualify for a L-1 Intracompany Transfer Work Visa.

O-1 Extraordinary Ability

The O Visa classification consists of three visas: O-1, O-2, and O-3. The O-1 visa is for individuals with extraordinary abilities within science, arts, education, business, or athletics at the national or international level. Individuals with a record of extraordinary achievements within motion picture and/or television can also apply for the O-1 visa as long as the work performed is in an area of extraordinary achievements.

O-2 visas are for supporting individuals of the O-1 visa holder, and the relationship between the O-1 and O-2 visa holder must have been long lasting. The spouse and unmarred children of O-1 visa holders are entitled to O-3 visas to come to the Unites States with the main O-1 visa holder.

Eligibility Requirements: The work performed must be temporary. The individual must possess skills that are extraordinary within the field of sciences, arts, education, business, athletics, or within the field of motion picture or television industry.

Examples of proof of extraordinary ability can be contracts, awards, nominations, prices, published material, or similar documentation reflecting the nature of the individual’s achievement.

R-1 Religious Workers

The United States government issues visas to individuals who are members of legitimate religious organizations so they can live and work legally in the United States for a specific period of time. These visas are called R-1 Religious Worker visas. R-1 visas are made available to members of the clergy and also to key employees of religious organizations.

The process of completing and submitting a request for a R-1 Religious Workers Visa can be both costly and confusing. The R-1 Religious Worker Visa immigration package makes the application process easy to understand. This is a step-by-step guide to help you file your R-1 visa application as efficiently and quickly as possible.

Eligibility Requirements: R-1 visas can be obtained if the applicant has been a member of a legitimate religious denomination for at least 2 years. R-2 visas can be obtained for accompanying relatives of the main applicant (R-1 visa holder).

Other requirements may apply and it is recommended to review the information in the application manual before applying.

TN under NAFTA

TN Visas are temporary work visas available only to citizens of Mexico and Canada. Under the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA), a citizen of a NAFTA country may work in a professional occupation in another NAFTA country, as long as the applicant meets certain requirements.

The spouse and unmarried minor children of the principal applicant are entitled to the derivative status (called TD visa), but they are unable to accept employment in the United States.

Eligibility Requirements:

  • Visas are only available to citizens of Mexico and Canada
  • The profession is on the NAFTA list (professions listed on application package)
  • The applicant has the specific criteria for that profession
  • The prospective position requires someone in that professional capacity
  • The applicant is going to work for a U.S. employer